Saturday, March 26, 2011

Stretched...


One thing I’ve been learning recently:  When I stretch myself I’m spread thin, like a rubber band.  When God stretches me, I expand (blowupuate!).  Today marks a big milestone for me.  Today we finished mastering the Infinitus self-titled debut cd and it’s FINALLY ready for release!  WooHoo!!

Let me give you the back-story.  Infinitus prays about EVERYTHING and we rely on God’s guidance to keep us on the right path.  I know that sounds preachy, but for me it’s just practical.  All of that to say that when we prayed about how to record our debut album we all felt that I was supposed to record it.  The problems:  I’m not a recording engineer, my studio is wherever my laptop/mic are, and my recording equip is kind of ghetto.  This has worked fine for my solo recordings, but I didn’t want to bring anyone else into my “funky-finger production” style of recording (“In Living Color” fans will catch that one BAM!!).  As this is Infinitus’ first album, I was really worried that the recording wouldn’t sound as great as it could due to my inexperience.  So I had to step up my game.  Funds are limited so I couldn’t buy a new studio, but I picked up a new pre-amp (allows you to record into a computer without jacked up mic levels) and Alex, the cellist, bought a second recording mic, giving us more mixing options as well as a fuller sound.  The studio:  a few hotel rooms in Ontario, and Alex’s 4yr-old son’s bedroom.

Alex and I recording in a hotel in Mississauga, ON.  Yes I'm sporting a do-rag and a wife beater (don't hate! LOL).

The end result:  A great album.  It sounds very natural (almost live) and you really hear US; real people, real string instruments, real beats (no auto-tune or special effects – I don’t even know how to use auto-tune, nor do I want to learn).   It’s taken hours of recording, re-recording, mixing, re-mixing, mastering and re-mastering; and I’ve had to do a lot of research and trial-and- error but at the end of the day, it’s done and it’s good.  Once again, God, thankYou for seeing something in me that I didn’t see in myself.  On to the next!

For more info on the Infinitus album, visit www. InfinitusMusic.com.  It will be released later this spring.  

3 comments:

  1. John Congrats! I'm so proud of you and thankful for God keeping and blessing you always! Everyday you inspire me! Can't wait to buy the album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maestra and Tamika! Thanks for the continual support. I can't wait for you to hear the album!

    ReplyDelete